As many of you know, after much build up, I was unable to make it to Oslo for the Ole Bull Del Gesu Project as a result of the widespread flight disruptions caused by the volcano eruption in Iceland. My original flight on Thursday morning was cancelled, and I was rebooked on a flight on Saturday evening, which was also later cancelled. After that, the next flight available to rebook was after the end of the exhibition, so I was forced to cancel my trip entirely.
While it is certainly disappointing to miss this event, I have made the best of the situation. While waiting for my rebooked flight in Chicago, I had the opportunity to visit with my violinist friend Kevin Case, and we had a great time playing in my Ole Bull. I also had an opportunity to stop by Michael Darnton's shop in Chicago to show him my Ole Bull violin and to watch him work.
After the trip was cancelled, I decided to spend a few days visiting family, and I was honored to have my father play my Ole Bull, as well as my childhood violin teacher Jackie McFaul (whose daughter Rebecca is now a member of the fantastic Fry Street Quartet). I also had the opportunity to show my Ole Bull to Claire Givens and her staff in Minneapolis, which is the shop where, when I was young, a workshop tour originally inspired me to make violins.
I know that I promised photos and updates from Scandinavia on this blog. So, along the way, I tried to experience as much "Scandinavia in America" as possible with my Ole Bull. First, we decided to visit the volcano that disrupted our travel -- who knew it had a mermaid:
We were honored to have a troll play my Ole Bull:
Then, we visited Ole Bull himself:
And, to compensate for the Swedish part of our trip, stopped by a quaint Swedish store:

Thanks to everyone for following this blog and for all of your support and well wishes. Its now time to return to the shop to start on my next violin.




Good humor will get you through. Sorry your trip (and that of others) to the exhibition was cancelled, but looks like you made the best of it. Nice looking fiddle, too!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that the volcanic eruption led to your trip to the festival being cancelled. maybe you can take your second violin to the festival instead
ReplyDeleteThanks Ken and Dan!
ReplyDeleteWell, at least the dollar was strong!
ReplyDelete