I have posted several times on this blog and on my Twitter account about the classical music performances that I often attend at the University Musical Society in Ann Arbor, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and others.
Recently, I began attending performances of Classical Revolution in Ann Arbor, which describe themselves as "a group dedicated to taking chamber music out of the recital hall and into the community, in the process dissolving the boundaries between audience and performer, professional and amateur." In Ann Arbor, Classical Revolution plays regularly at a local coffee shop.
The Classical Revolution concept began at the Revolution Cafe in San Francisco's Mission District, and has since spread to several cities across the country. I have had the opportunity to spend several days at the University of California - Berkeley over the last week, and I decided to experience the original Classical Revolution.
The exterior of the Revolution Cafe, where the performances are held, is a far cry from the typical concert hall:
The evening began with a solo viola performance:
And soon merged into a string quartet (with an Oboe for some pieces) playing Haydn, Brams, and Beethoven quartets:

All with smoke wafting and the general noise associated with bar patrons, and even with a large dog wandering about and mingling with the quartet at times. A very refreshing and enjoyable experience.





No comments:
Post a Comment